It was February 2010 when I started my experimental project how to use QML and C++ together in a same application. At that time, there wasn’t too much information and examples how you should integrate e.g. C++ backend to QML UI. Remember that Qt Quick was released about 6 months after I started my project so it was lacking quite a lot documentation back then. The QML API was constantly changing too, not any big changes, but still enough to cause me headache.
My original idea was that it would be nice to make a client application for Flickr. In the first phase, I started to look for Qt based Flickr API and I found a simple Flickr API called QtFlickr. In the next phase, I wrote a simple wrapper on top of QtFlickr, which was exposed to QML side. The first UIs were quite rough and basically I was only trying to show what ever content from Flickr. Here’s an old video of the one of the first UIs of the QuickFlickr.
I have rewritten QuickFlickr UI many times during this journey. Mostly because, I found that it was so easy to prototype and try different things with QML. I think, when I ran the first versions of QuickFlickr on N900 and N8, I started to realize how I would like the UI to look and act like. QuickFlickr has been unofficially released (for testing) couple of times and I’ve got really valuable feedback from many users.
Btw, one interesting fact is that there are over 600 authenticated QuickFlickr Symbian^3 and Maemo5 users even though it hasn’t been officially released to any of those devices yet.